.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: MN

Friday, April 08, 2005

Getting to know Simply Paul

Ever wonder what you would do if a genie would materialize from an old bottle found in the attic of the dilapidated house next door? Now you have one wish that could change your life. I don't spend a lot of time on this question, but it pops up once every now and then while brushing my teeth or driving home from a long day at work. Some of the obvious answers would be to win the lottery. From that point you could be debt free, build your dream house, drive the best car or buy only the best clothing. Yesterday, I decided that when that genie appears before me I am going to wish to be a better reader. I enjoy reading. I usually choose detective or law mysteries, but also enjoy an occasional fantasy fiction or one of the popular novels. I'm just not a fast reader. I would love to be able to devour a book in a night or two. I would gladly give up my cable tv if I knew I could check out a book from the library and have it finished before its due date. With a book I can travel the world. I can live in the fast lane or attempt to understand the events of history. Don't get me wrong, I would love to fall into a pile of money, but maybe if I was a better reader I might just fall into the secret of making more money using the knowledge available to me through books. Even the internet is based on the skills of the reader. The web is the unending book. One page turn leads to yet another. Yes I do believe that the riches of the world are in books. I hope that I will be able to mine those riches for years to come.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cindy's Closet said...

I must say that I disagree with your desire to read a book faster. I personally savor a good book like a fine wine. Why would you choose to "chug" it down and not savor the wonderful flavors. It's rather like life I suppose...you can choose to race through and miss most of the opportunities and experiences or you can choose to slow down and enjoy the journey and all that life has to offer (just like all the details of a good book). I know what I'm choosing to do...how 'bout you?

10:28 PM  
Blogger Just Paul said...

A very good point Cindy. Yet to have the ability to read a book faster does not mean that one needs to blow through all the books. I guess I'm just seeing the perspective of someone who toils to finish a book at times.

I will agree with the need to enjoy the journey. I too like to see those sites not frequented by the standard tour guide.

Journey well.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home