.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: MN

Friday, April 08, 2005

Music is the Breath of Life

I am a music fan. I took piano lessons for a year or so as a second grader because my mom made me. I eagerly enter the school band program where I played the mellophone (cousin of the french horn), trumpet and finally the baritone. I was never real good, but I enjoyed myself. Later in high school I became a member of the school choir where I had a great time.

By my real interest now is that of a fan. I never had the personal drive to excel with a music instrument, but I certainly learned enough to appreciate those people with the skills, talent and love of music. My taste is rather
eclectic. Jazz, bluegrass, big band are just the start of the list. Back in the days of vinyl I would head to my favorite record store/head shop on pay day and buy four or five albums without having heard them first.

When I was sharing an apartment with a friend in the service, we usually had most of the top 100 pop albums between the two of us. I also learned about many different artist when our taste in music converged. My wife and daughter really don't share my taste in music the the exception of the premier 'Nickel Creek' cd which is an awesome bluegrass group.

There isn't too much music I won't listen to, however I do avoid opera and top ten country music. I lived in what I refer to as a radio dead zone. The commercial radio stations of Southeastern Minnesota are about as bland as can be. They all work very hard not to confront or challenge each other for audience share. Most of the stations in the immediate area are currently owned by two media groups. Fresh air has finally been delivered via Minnesota Public Radio with it's new offering known as 'The Current'. You can check out the web page and stream this channel from anywhere in the world or if you're lucky you can pick it up on your radio. http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/thecurrent/

Maybe on another day we can discuss specific artists that I enjoy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cindy's Closet said...

I also enjoy most styles of music. I'm not a big fan of opera and country either, but, Rap makes me insane! I guess I just don't get how swearing and sexual innuendo can be classified as music. Maybe someone can enlighten us?

8:30 AM  
Blogger Cindy's Closet said...

Simply Paul needs to call Cindy's Closet...pronto! You got my number. Thank you!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home