.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: MN

Sunday, April 17, 2005

A Day In The Water

Living in Minnesota, it's no surprise that I love to fish. What is a surprise is that I normally fish in streams. In the land of 10,000 lakes, I happen to live in the area of the state that has almost no natural lakes. Learning to wade the local streams and fish for bass was something I did out of necessity. Now I can't imagine not being able to step into the cool, running water on a hot and humid summer day. I've spent hours wading up or down stream alway curious what will I find around the next bend.

The first time in a favorite stream after a long winter and a spring run-off is alway exciting. It is very much like reconnecting with an old friend. There is a familiarity there from having shared past outings, but a river is alway moving. High waters can alter the river bed changing the contour and creating unseen hazards. High waters can also pick up old tree limbs and move them down stream creating a new hiding spot for the smallmouth bass to hunt from. Will the bass be in the same places I found them in past outings? Will they be bigger this year? Will I run into another fisherman that has discovered 'my spot'?

Fishing a new stream brings a different excitement. Now the whole experience is new though I've been wading for years. Each step is more cautious until I reach a spot where the water clears and I can see the bottom. Each eddy is a potential strike zone for my next bass. Each bend of the river holds the mystery of what lies ahead.

So many times I have gone fishing and been skunked, meaning I've caught nothing. But that day I may have seen a deer slowly crossing the river 50 yards ahead of me without a care in the world. I've watched a blue heron leap frog from one tree top to another as I've fished just below. I've watched a raccoon waddle down to the stream for a drink only to notice me, turn around and waddle back into the woods.

I really love stream fishing and some days I even get to catch a fish.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cindy's Closet said...

You and my father would get along great!! He's been fly fishing in streams around here since he was a boy!! He could probably teach a thing or two. I'll hook you up this summer when he comes to visit in July.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home