.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: MN

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Find The Music Of Your Soul

I can’t imagine a day in my life without music. Whether it’s background sound while I’m at work or I’ve got a cd playing while I’m on the computer. For that matter I may even explore the web to see what a favorite artist might be up to and discover some group or sound that is new to me.

I am so disappointed in commercial radio. Instead of being in the forefront of new music, commercial radio chooses to play it safe and program to the masses. That’s why Middle America is inundated with classic rock, top 40 and popular country radio stations. And the worst thing that has happened to commercial radio is the deregulation that has allowed for corporate commercial radio to fill the airwaves of the small rural radio station with what ever is the latest and greatest moneymaker on the outer coasts. Gone are the days when the radio airwaves were as regionally distinctive as the people you met there.

I am not saying that folk in Iowa don’t want to hear what Californians are listing to. What I am saying is that folk in Iowa may be missing what’s happening musically in Iowa, Missouri or Minnesota because the corporate giant in California has determined the play list for that small town Iowa radio station it now owns. Some really great bands may be lost in the shuffle because they weren’t able to catch on with the right agency or make a trip to the coast to finally get their big break.

My point to you is this, explore music for yourself. Step out of your comfort zone once in a while and see what else might touch your soul. Surf the web and tour what else is out there. Discover the music that fills your life. Once you’ve found it, share it with a friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home