.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: MN

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Why the Colonies Need FRUK Indie Music.

Those of us living in the Colonies desperately need FRUK Indie music. This is the perspective of a 50 year old, male living in Midwest America. Twenty years ago I had attended a two year college broadcasting program. My intent was to be the next big star in a small radio station in a small rural community. Sadly, talent did not match desire and my dreams of stardom quickly faded like the signal of a low power FM station.

During my brief stint into a radio career I came to the realization that commercial radio had already made a turn away from local interest and was the feeding of the masses. In the early days of Rock and Roll the “Top Forty” play list quickly became the link across America. No matter where you traveled within the Colonies you were bound to hear a number of favorite songs throughout the day. Local stations still had the power to adapt that Top Forty list to best fit local interests and even insert popular local artists.

Next came corporate radio; multiple stations under a single organizational umbrella. The goal was to reach the greatest number of listeners at the lowest cost. Now disc jockeys were given more rigid playlists not allowing for local interests or regional artists. Corporate radio also led to the more structured formatting of radio stations. Now radio stations are tailored to specific musical interests such as Rock, Country or Easy Listening.

American commercial radio has lost its imagination. Originality is lost in the programming decisions of today. In my immediate listening area we have no less than three “Classic Rock” stations, two “Country” stations, one “Current Hits” station and one station which airs music best described as elevator music. Even the local college station is not being run by the college. This station used to play progressive rock music, but now airs pre-canned “Classic Rock”. I find it hard to believe that today’s college students are interested in listening to rock hits of over 30 years. Instead these stations are attempting to play to the masses.

FRUK Indies offers me the opportunity to hear new music made by adults for the listening pleasure of adults. I’ve already heard a wide variety of styles from Blue Grass, American Folk, British Folk, Blues and possibly styles I don’t know the name of. I often enjoy hearing new artists interspersed with the music I’ve come to enjoy on previous visits to FRUK Indie. I frequently listen throughout my work day without hearing the same songs over and over. What a pleasant treat.

Give a listen FRUK Indie: Folk Radio United Kingdom Indie


http://www.folkradio.co.uk/index.php

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home