.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: MN

Thursday, March 26, 2009

What I Did

On any given day you can look at the web site for the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS.org) and see that there are over 100,000 people in America in need of one type of organ transplant or another. At the end of February I had the rare opportunity to help take a friend, co-worker and neighbor off of that list.

I am Paul Lewis. I am the son of Danny and Maggie Lewis and I graduated from Lake Crystal High School in 1976. The recipient of my organ donation is JoLeen Hammon. We both work for the Mayo Clinic in Rochester and live in Kasson, Mn.

It was about February of 2007 that JoLeen informed our work group that she was ill enough to require regular dialysis treatment and her name was being placed on a waiting list for a kidney transplant. JoLeen had been suffering for many years with hereditary nephritis which caused her kidneys to eventually shut down completely. She had known that one day she would need a transplant. Not long after the announcement JoLeen thought she had found an acquaintance that was willing to donate her kidney. Unfortunately extensive testing ruled out this volunteer as a possible donor. It was then that a number of JoLeen’s co-workers had a simple blood test see if we would be a potential match. Initially none of us was considered a good match as JoLeen’s antibody count was too high thus increasing the risk of organ rejection.

Fortunately for JoLeen there was research being done that might bring her antibodies down to a level that could potentially lead to a successful transplant. JoLeen proceeded with the study and as her body responded positively to the medications, I learned that I would now be a good match for JoLeen. At that point I began extensive testing to ensure that I was healthy enough physically and mentally to be a donor and that my kidneys were healthy as well.

The kidney transplant surgeries went very well. Surgical pain was very minimal. I am home from work for 6 weeks and JoLeen is to wait 12 weeks before she returns to work. JoLeen is married and has two young sons ages 13 and 10. Now JoLeen can plan her life around her family activities and not around her dialysis appointments. My wife Kathy and daughter Megan have been supportive throughout making sure that I obey doctor’s orders and refrain from over extending myself too soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home